Weight Watchers Garlic-Lemon Green Beans with Bread Crumbs recipe
1 1/2 lbs green beans, ends trimmed
2 slices white bread, torn into quarters
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
6 medium garlic cloves, minced
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 cup chicken broth
2 teaspoons flour
1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
1 tablespoon lemon juice
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Process the bread in a food processor to get fine, even crumbs.
2. In a large non-stick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat; when melted, add the bread crumbs and cook, stirring frequently, for about 3-5 minutes (until golden).
3. Transfer to a medium bowl and stir in the Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
4. Wipe out the skillet and add the garlic, the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring, for about 3-5 minutes (until the garlic is golden).
5. Stir in the red pepper flakes, flour and thyme, then toss in the green beans.
6. Add the chicken broth and increase the heat to medium-high, cover and cook for about 4 minutes (until the beans are partly tender).
7. Uncover and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 4 more minutes (until the beans are tender and the sauce has slightly thickened).
8. Turn off the heat, stir in the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste.
9. Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle with bread crumbs.
Nutritional information for one serving:
WW points: 2
Calories from fat: 62
Total fat: 6.9g
Total carbs: 14.5g
Dietary fiber: 4.2g
Photo credit: PaulaG
You might also like these side dish recipes: