Use mashed potato flakes instead of traditional cooked potatoes to keep the moist velvety texture that makes these potato rolls so delicious.
Tender Potato Rolls recipe (3 WW points plus, 3 WW old points)
Recipe type: Bread
- ⅓ cup packaged instant mashed potato flakes
- 3 - 3½ cups all-purpose flour or bread flour
- ¾ cup water
- 1 package active dry yeast
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- Stir together 1 cup of the flour and the yeast in a large mixing bowl.
- In a medium saucepan, heat and stir the milk, water, sugar, shortening, and salt just until warm (120-130 degrees F) and the shortening almost melts.
- Stir in the potato flakes
- Let stand for about 1 minute.
- Add the milk mixture to the dry mixture along with the egg.
- Using an electric mixer, beat for about 30 seconds on low to medium speed, scraping the sides of the bowl.
- Beat on high speed for about 3 minutes.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (for about 6-8 minutes total).
- Shape the dough into a ball.
- Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease the surface of the dough.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place for about 1-1/4 hours (until double in size).
- Punch the dough down.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface.
- Divide the dough in half.
- Cover the dough and let rest for about 10 minutes.
- Lightly grease two 9x9x2-inch or 8x8x2-inch baking pans.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of the dough to ½-inch thickness.
- Cut the dough with a floured 2-1/2-inch round cutter.
- Place the rolls in the prepared baking pans.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place for about 30-40 minutes (until nearly double in size).
- Bake in the oven at 375 degrees F for about 15-20 minutes (or until golden).
- Remove the rolls immediately from the pans.
- Let the rolls cool on wire racks.
WW Points Plus: 3, WW Old Points: 3
Calories: 125 Fat: 4 g Saturated fat: 1 g Carbohydrates: 19 g Sodium: 116 mg Fiber: 1 g Protein: 3 g
You might also like these Weight Watchers bread recipes: