The secret of a good pastry crust is to work quickly, keep it cold and let it rest to relax the gluten before rolling it out. To achieve the best results, make the crust and refrigerate it for about 24 hours before baking.
Weight Watchers Basic Pie Crust recipe
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons cold vegetable shortening
2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, diced
2 teaspoons sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
3 – 3 1/2 tablespoons ice water
1. In a large bowl, combine the sugar, salt and flour. Using two knives or a pastry blender, cut the butter and shortening into the flour until the mixture resembles course crumbs.
2. Stir in the vinegar and then the water (1 tablespoon at a time), until the dough begins to form.
3. Press the dough together and shape into a disk.
4. Wrap the dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
5. On a floured surface, roll out the dough to a 12-13-inch circle; fit into a 9-inch pie pan, pressing to fit and crimping the edges to form a rim.
6. Freeze for about 20 minutes.
7. Prick the bottom of the dough with a fork.
Nutritional information for one serving:
WW points: 3
WW points plus: 3
Total fat: 6 g
Sodium: 37 mg
Total carbs: 13 g
Dietary fiber: 0 g
Protein: 2 g
You might also like these Weight Watchers dessert recipes: