I don’t like onions, but I got a request for a sweet onion recipe, so here’s a very rich French soup for you!
Weight Watchers Roasted Vidalia Onion and Garlic Soup recipe
Makes 12 servings
6 medium sweet Vidalia onions
1 head garlic, bulb cut in 1/2
2 quarts low sodium chicken stock
2 celery ribs, chopped
2 leeks (white part only), soaked and chopped
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 cup cream
1/2 cup sweet sherry
2 tablespoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
salt and pepper, to taste
1 bunch fresh parsley (to garnish)
1 bunch fresh chives (to garnish)
1. Wrap each onion and garlic separately in aluminum foil and place in a 300 degree F oven for about 1 1/2 – 2 hours (until the onions feel tender all the way through).
2. Heat the canola oil in a large pot. Add the celery and leeks; cook until softened but not browned.
3. Remove the onions from the foil and skins, quarter and add to the pot.
4. Squeeze out the garlic from the skins and add to the pot.
5. Add the chicken stock and sherry; simmer for about 45 minutes.
6. Stir in the cream and thyme. Remove from the heat.
7. In batches, puree the mixture in a blender until smooth.
8. Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish each serving with parsley and chives.
WW POINTS per serving: 6
Nutritional information per serving: 268 calories, 12.6g fat, 8.3g fiber