This velvety carrot soup is blended with chicken broth and a little cream before topping with an herbed gremolata made with panko bread crumbs. Yum!
WW Smart Points
Weight Watchers Creamy Spiced Carrot Soup Recipe
Recipe type: Soup
- FOR THE CARROT SOUP
- 2 lb carrots, peeled and chopped (about 6 cups)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 carton (32 oz) Progresso™ chicken broth (4 cups) (or any other type of chicken broth)
- 2 strips (2x1 inch each) orange peel
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- FOR THE GREMOLATA
- ½ cup Progresso™ Italian style panko crispy bread crumbs (or any other type of breadcrumbs)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- grated peel of 1 medium orange
- In 4-quart Dutch oven or saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the celery and onions to the oil; cook for a few minutes. Add the garlic; cook for about 5 minutes or until the vegetables are becoming translucent.
- Add the carrots; cook for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thr carrots are tender.
- Add the chicken broth, orange peel strips, bay leaf, salt, pepper, cinnamon, and cloves. Heat to boiling; reduce the heat.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the whipping cream; remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, make the gremolata. In a 8-inch skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the bread crumbs to the butter; cook until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the grated orange peel and chopped parsley.
- Remove from the heat; set aside.
- Remove the orange peel strips and bay leaf from the soup; discard.
- Pour the soup into a blender in small batches; cover and puree each batch until completely smooth.
- Ladle into warm bowls. Sprinkle the soup with 1 teaspoon gremolata. Pass the remaining gremolata at the table.
Calories: 370 Fat: 28 g Saturated fat: 13 g Carbohydrates: 24 g Sugar: 10 g Sodium: 1140 mg Fiber: 5 g Protein: 5 g Cholesterol: 65 mg
WW Points Plus
WW Old Points
You might also like these Weight Watchers soup recipes: