This is a traditional Southwestern recipe for a very easy and tasty dish. If you feel adventurous, you can experiment with this recipe by adding some tomatoes, portobello mushrooms or mozzarella cheese to this casserole.
Weight Watchers Sausage and Eggplant Casserole recipe
Makes 4 servings
1/2 lb bulk sausage
1 small eggplant
1 egg, beaten
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
1/2 cup butter cracker crumbs
1 1/2 tablespoons italian seasoning
freshly ground black pepper
1. Peel the eggplant, cut into 1-inch cubes and lightly salt to sweat the bitter taste out.
2. In a saucepan, cook the eggplant cubes with water for about 18 minutes (until tender); drain and cool slightly.
3. Cook the sausage and onion until the sausage is browned and the onion is soft.
4. Combine the eggplant and sausage; add the beaten egg and bread crumbs.
5. Spoon into a prepared casserole.
6. Combine the butter and cracker crumbs. Spread over the top of the casserole.
7. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 25-30 minutes (until the cracker crumbs are golden brown).
WW POINTS per serving: 7
Nutritional information per serving: 323 calories, 15.9g fat, 5.9g fiber